Friday 11 October 2013

Plumber ingests 57 wraps of condom stuffed with cocaine

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, has arrested a 29-year-old plumber for the unlawful importation of 945 grammes of cocaine from Brazil.

Okechukwu Ogu, who allegedly ingested the drugs in 57 wraps, was caught during the inward screening of passengers on an Etihad flight from Abu Dhabi at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos.
In a statement on Thursday, Hamza Umar, the NDLEA Airport Commander, said that the 57 wraps of cocaine, later excreted by the suspect, were packed in male condoms and sealed with cello-tape.

"It is a dangerous practice because many drug traffickers have died as a result of leakage in such wraps of narcotics," said Mr. Umar, adding that the case was under investigation.

According to the NDLEA, the suspect said, in his confessional statement, that his inability to pay his N150, 000 house rent lured him into drug trafficking.

"I am married with two children and my wife just delivered our second baby," said Mr. Ogu, who hails from Imo State.

"While looking for money, I was introduced to drug trafficking.  They promised me N300, 000 if only I will bring drug from Brazil. My travel expenses were sponsored. While in Brazil, I was given 100 wraps of drugs to swallow but I could only take 57 because it was my first time and it was not easy to ingest. I feel very bad now."

The NDLEA Chairman, Ahmadu Giade, reiterated his call to members of the public to shun drug trafficking and money laundering.
"The agency will continue to adopt measures aimed at frustrating the activities of drug syndicates in the country," Mr. Giade said.
"In addition to arrests, drug traffickers shall be diligently prosecuted and made to forfeit all ill-gotten proceeds of drugs. No drug traffickers shall go unpunished."



Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

No comments:

Post a Comment