The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) on Monday reacted to the 192 complaints received from candidates who sat for the 2013 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
The Registrar, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, said that there was an open complaint from the media which amounted to a threat to the integrity of the organisation.
He said that out of the 192 candidates who filed their complaints, 132 candidates requested that their examination scripts be remarked, while 63 requested to see their examination scripts.
“We are sure of what they scored, we are sure of the situation and we are sure of the true position of things, even with those who claimed that we did not release their results.
“But in the final analysis, you can see that they did not shade their subjects correctly, how can we release a result that is not known to us?.
“That was why we told the candidates to come on June 10 to see their papers and here we are, together with the complainants.
“We have been showing them their papers and so far, nobody has won. I can bet you, the damage done to our integrity is what we have come to protect.’’
The registrar, who reiterated JAMB’s determination to ensure transparency and accountability in the conduct of its examinations, added that “we have to be able to tell the people how we conducted the exams and how we scored them.
The JAMB boss said the organisation was not responsible for the failure of any candidate in the 2013 UTME, stressing that rather, the failure was due to double shedding and not following proper instructions as required.
He commended the aggrieved candidates for their boldness in writing their complaints to JAMB.
He directed that any complainant who must have paid the requested amount for the verification should be refunded.